So you need a blog.
First off, give yourself a pat on the back for taking the first step in getting your business online! Many people let the fear of the unknown prevent them from even getting started..even though it is not as difficult as they think.
This guide will be broken into 4 parts:
1. How To Buy A Domain Name And Hosting For Your Blog (where you are now)
Let’s get started with the first step.
One of the first physical steps to getting your business online is purchasing a domain name and web hosting. The domain name is the address of your website (the .com) and the hosting is how your website is displayed.
To someone with no technical experience with purchasing a domain name or building a website, the whole idea can be intimidating.
It is actually a lot easier than most people think, and this post will walk you through the process and show you.Now Reading! How To Start A #WordPress Blog: A Step By Step Beginners Guide Click To Tweet
How To Buy A Domain Name And Web Hosting For Your Website
A domain name is simply the address of your businesses website on the internet. All businesses, blogs, websites..any page at all that wants to be seen on the internet must have a domain name attached to it.
Think of it like your house address. It is the physical location of your website on the internet. Without one, your website..and your business..can’t be seen online. There are now many different types of domain names such as .com, .biz, .net, .org, and many more, but for the purpose of this program we are going to concentrate on getting a .com domain address as they are the most common and most recognizable.
ACTION STEP: Picking The Domain Name
Step 1: Take out a sheet of paper and a pen and think about your business..what do you offer? what do you sell? what services do you offer? what is the very nature of your business? Write them down.
Step 2: Go over your list of answers and try and pick the best description of your business, it’s products, or services, and try to come up with a way of describing it in a very short, detailed, sentence.
Example: My name is Susan and I run a flower shop where we sell flowers. A couple suggestions for possible domain names might include something like, flowersbysusan.com, or susansflowershop.com, or maybe even susansgreenhouse.com.
You can see in the example how the domain name is going to flow..a short description with no breaks in the words followed by .com at the end.
Step 3: Take a list of the possible domain names you would like to have, and let’s go shopping!
ACTION STEP: How To Sign Up With HostGator
Note: Click on any image to enlarge
Step 1: Go to HostGator.com and choose the basic plan (click here for a discount!) called “hatchling”. The basic plan is all you need to get started and you can always upgrade later.
2. Enter the desired domain name in the space provided.
3. Select the options you would like using the drop down menu. Select a username and security pin.
4. Fill in your billing information.
5. Select any additional services you want with your account. Note that a few of the boxes may be checked by default. If you do not want to add these additional services at this time, be sure to remove them from the selected services.
6. Apply your coupon code and review your order. If you have used this link, your coupon code will be automatically applied. Note: Make sure to check the terms and conditions box below your order summary.
Congratulations! You have created your account and are now ready to move on to the next step!
ACTION STEP: Installing WordPress
Now that we have the domain name and web hosting process out of the way, it’s time to install WordPress and choose a theme (template) for the design of our blog. It’s not nearly as scary as it sounds..just follow the steps and you will have no trouble at all!
Ready? Here we go..
1. Log into your HostGator back office. HostGator refers to this as your cPanel. The login information would have been sent to you at the email address you used to complete the sign up process.
2. Find the WordPress icon and click to start the installation process.
3. From the left side bar, choose the WordPress option. You do not need to fill in the login info at this time.
4. Choose the install WordPress for free option.
5. Choose your domain from the drop down menu. You can leave the second box blank. This is if you want to give your blog it’s own title seperate from your main domain. For example, suesflowershop.com/suesblog
6. Your new login information for your WordPress site will be different from your login information for the HostGator cPanel. You will get the information sent to your email address. From here on out, we will be logging into the WordPress admin area to set up our theme and write our blog posts. Congratulations on completing this step! Next, we need to choose and install a theme for our new WordPress site.
Resources From This Post:
If you are ready to continue, let’s go!