This is part four of a four part series I created called How To Start A Blog: A Step By Step Guide For Beginners. You can check out all four parts of the series by using the links below:
4. How To Promote Your Blog: 10 Ways To Get More Traffic (You are here)
This fourth and final section will cover promotion of your new blog. Even if you are a seasoned blogger, some of the traffic strategies listed here can help. After all, what good is a blog if nobody ever sees it? Let’s get started!Now Reading! 10 Ways To Get More Traffic To Your Blog Click To Tweet
10 Ways To Get Traffic To Your Blog
1. Use Social Media: This is probably the easiest and most popular way of getting your content seen. Using social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+ and Pinterest can be a great way to build an audience and create relationships with both customers and influencers within your niche. Some of these platforms (Twitter and Instagram in particular) will give you the best results if you are posting multiple times per day. Consider using a scheduler such as Buffer to schedule your posts at different times throughout the day. TIP: Although Facebook groups get the most attention, don’t overlook the communities on Google+!
2. Make Sharing Your Content Easy: Make use of the social media share buttons available on your WordPress site.
1. From your WordPress dashboard, scroll down the left menu to “Settings”
2. Select “Sharing” from the sub menu
3. From this page you are able to activate and customize the social sharing services.
This is a great way to allow your visitors to share your content with their followers across all of the social media networks! There are also many different plug-ins for WordPress that allow for even greater customizations. Many add a bit more color and are designed to stand out and encourage people to share your content. TIP: If you decide to experiment with different plug-ins, make sure and check that the share icons do not obstruct your content..especially on mobile devices!
For some great plug-in ideas for WordPress, see my post WordPress Plugins: The 5 Best For Business
3. Forums: A quick Google search for your niche keyword (example: weight loss forum) followed by “forum” will give you a list of relevant forums. Forums are basically online communities centered around a particular topic where people can go and participate in discussions. When you sign up to a forum, most will give you the opportunity to provide a link back to your website. Now, every time you post in the forum, people will have the opportunity to visit your blog. Forums are NOT a place to go and spam with your links. The effective method is to be of value..ask questions and answer other people’s questions. It takes a bit of time, but eventually people in the forum will begin to recognize you as someone who brings value, and they will be more inclined to check out your blog..and maybe even recommend you to others.
4. Traffic Exchanges: Traffic exchanges are free membership sites that typically work on a credit system. When you view one website, you are given a credit good for one view back to your own. In other words, you view someone’s website and in exchange, someone visits yours. It’s not going to get you a ton of traffic, but for free, some is better than none! A few of the popular traffic exchanges are TrafficSplash and Tezak Traffic Power. Again, a quick Google search for “traffic exchange” will give you more options.
5. Safelists: Safelists work on the same credit based principle as the traffic exchange. For every email you read, you are given a credit. The amount of credits you accumulate dictates how many people you can reach with your email. If you have 100 credits, you will be allowed to send your email message out to 100 people. These types of sites are member based and free..similar to the traffic exchanges. It can be a good way to reach a lot of people, especially if you do not yet have your own email list.
6. Leave Comments On Other Blogs: This works in a similar way to the Forums. Find popular blogs within your niche and leave comments on the posts you find interesting. Again, this is NOT a free opportunity to spam other blogs! Leave a genuine comment letting the author know what you liked..or disliked..about the post.
7. A Basic SEO Strategy: This particular method is more of a long-term, ongoing process..but never the less it should be an important part of your overall blogging strategy. It takes some time to see results, but getting free targeted traffic from the search engines (Google, Yahoo, Bing) is a huge plus. SEO (Search Engine Optimization) can be as complex as you want it to be, but just having a basic SEO strategy in place will start to pay off eventually. Basic SEO is not difficult to learn! For some great beginner’s tips on how to implement a basic SEO strategy, see my post: 5 Ways To Improve Your SEO Strategy
8. Guest Blogging: Guest blogging is a great way to build authority within your niche and get targeted visitors to your blog. As a guest blogger, you are writing a blog post to be published on someone else’s blog. Sometimes bloggers will reach out to you and ask you if you are interested in doing a guest post, but most often it is you who will have to take the initiative. Start with some of the smaller blogs in your niche. Reach out and ask them if they are open to the idea of guest blogging. Maybe offer a collaboration effort where you post on their blog and they post on yours. This can be a great way to build relationships, and get more viewers!
9. Solo Ads: Using Solo Ads is one of my personal favorites, a close second to PPC for driving target traffic to my site. Solo ads are a form of email marketing, but you do not need a list of your own..you are going to use someone else’s list. How it differs from using a safelist is the ability to both target specific markets and control how many people actually click on the links in your email ad. This strategy is a super powerful way to get traffic to your site..and build your own email list..if you implement it correctly! For a detailed look at how to use this strategy, check out my post Where To Buy Solo Ads or click the link below to download my step by step guide to driving traffic with solo ads!
10. Pay Per Click Marketing: Hands down my favorite traffic strategy! If done correctly, there is no better way of getting the right people in front of your content at the right time. And that is the key..the right person at the right time. A typical PPC campaign is pretty straight forward. It is a simple text ad that is displayed across hundreds of different sites related to your market. When a person clicks on your ad, they are taken to wherever it is you have chosen. A blog post, a free download, a sales page…wherever you want. Having the ability to choose who see’s your ad is what makes it so effective. Different PPC networks have different targeting capabilities. Facebook Ads offer some of the best targeting options, but there are a few others that can be equally effective for a similar (or much less!) cost per click. If you are interested in PPC marketing as a method of traffic generation, here are a few video tutorials I have done with a few of my favorite PPC networks:
PPC Marketing: Drive Targeted Traffic (Video Guide!)
Paid Traffic: How And Where To Get It (Video Guide!)
Want to know where to get even more traffic? Click the image below to grab your free download!
As you can see, there are many great ways to get traffic to your blog. Some cost nothing but time, and some are a true investment. The trick is to find a balance between all of the different methods and come up with a routine that works best for you and your business. I hope it helps!
Do you have a favorite method of getting traffic to your blog? I would love to hear about it! Leave it in the comments below!
If you know someone who would benefit from this post..or from the whole four-part series, consider passing it along using the share buttons below!
Related Post: How To Structure Your Blog For Maximum Profit
As always..To YOUR Success!